Sources of support

Some of this information has now dated. Please create posts of up to date information.

Moss Side Councillors

You can speak to a Moss Side Councillor on Tuesdays 5.30-6.30, Greenheys Adult Education Centre, Great Western St. Or phone or email  Cllr Mahadi Hussein Sharif Mahamed or Cllr Emily Rowles


Emergency: 999 Less-urgent: 101 Local: 0161 872 5050
or visit Greenheys Police Station, Charles Halle Rd., M15 6NP.
If the Police don’t help, then contact a Councillor.


Manchester City Council (MCC) and the universities have committed to taking action to protect communities from noise:

  • Ring 0161 234 5004 during the night (20:45 – 04:00)
  • Ring 0161 234 1220 during the day (08:00 – 20:00)

At night MCC will visit to witness the noise, record evidence and stop it. The 1st time they give a warning. The 2nd time they contact the landlord and university. Each report creates evidence. And don’t worry, it’s confidential.

If you know there will be lots of noise (for example seeing hired loudspeakers arriving) you can ring in advance so that the officers can visit the house and warn in advance. That works.

This is the GreatSoWeCAN leaflet created to distribute for everyone to keep in 2018. Please check whether the contact details are still correct.

Noise Leaflet

Citizens advice

Citizens Advice offers a range of advice and help, both online and face-to-face with informed volunteers.

Local support is also available – Check the days and times on the website.

  • Hulme High Street Library, Hulme High Street, M15 5NN.
  • Trinity House, Grove Cl, Manchester M14 5AA.
  • Fallowfield The Place, Platt Lane M14 7FB.
  • Withington Library 410 Wilmslow Rd, Manchester M20 3BD.

Citizens Advice used to offer an Assisted Digital Visa Service from Longsight Library, 519 Stockport Road, M12 4NE twice a week, helping with the online access. Check if that is still running, and/or book an appointment at:

Manchester and Salford Samaritans

If something’s troubling you, get in touch:

  • Phone Free on 116 123 (this number is free to call)
  • Email: gro.snatiramas@oj or gro.snatiramas@retsehcnam
  • or visit: 72-74 Oxford Street, Manchester M1 5NH from 8.30am to 8pm every day.

Domestic Abuse Helpline – Manchester

Extracts from a leaflet by Greater Manchester’s #endthefear campaign:

If your friend or family member is suffering from domestic violence, or you think that they are being abused, call the Domestic Abuse Helpline: 0161 636 7525. (If they are in immediate risk of harm, call the Police on 999.)

Helplines aren’t just for victims – they also provide support for concerned family and friends. There are many different types of domestic abuse: financial, emotional, psychological, physical and sexual.

‘Honour-based’ violence, forced marriage, and female genital mutilation (FGM are also types of domestic abuse.

Be aware that the abuser may try to undermine you and isolate your friend, and that getting in the middle of an abuser and victim could put the victim in more danger. So get advice and formulate a plan. If they are in immediate risk of harm, call 999.

Greater Manchester’ website offers more advice.


  • Phone 0800 1111 24 hours a day, every day. Lines can be busy but keep trying and you will get through.
  • Email ku.gro.ccpsn@pleh
  • Visit the website:

Tenants’ Union

In a nation now living with short-term and insecure tenancies, the Tenants’ Union has an important role. Consider speaking to Citizens’ Advice and to a Moss Side Councillor too.

Other useful helplines

Manchester Women’s Aid: 0161 6607 999

LGBT Domestic Violence Helpline: 0300 999 5428

Saheli Asian Women’s Project: 0161 945 4187

Community Helpline Language Service (Urdu + Punjabi) 0161 636 7525Help for perpetrators of abuse: 0808 802 4040

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Pin It on Pinterest